- How can waste-to-energy ash be used?
Construction and Demolition Debris (C&D)
- How can we make disposal of C&D more efficient and how can the State promote C&D recycling so that more people and companies participate?
Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA) Treated Wood
- How toxic is CCA? Should CCA-treated wood be disposed of in unlined landfills? Will it cause groundwater contamination? How can CCA treated wood be identified in loads coming to the landfill? What are the disposal and treatment options for soil removed from areas contaminated with chemicals from CCA-contaminated areas?
- What impact does CRTs and other electronics have on our waste stream? How many CRTs could potentially end up in landfills? What are the chemical components of these electronics, and what are the potential environmental impacts? Do they cause lead contamination? What are the alternatives to traditional disposal methods, and related costs? If demanufacturing or recycling is an option, how do we collect them? How can manufacturers be made responsible for end-of-life disposal of electronics? How can we make recycling of electronics economically viable?
- How can citizens and local governments efficiently and cost effectively dispose of household hazardous waste? (e.g. paint, insecticides, hairspray, lye, etc.) What are some alternatives for disposal/recycling of paint and thinners? What reuse options are available for household hazardous waste?
- How can odors from landfills / C&D facilities be controlled or eliminated? How can we decrease odor from gypsum wallboard in landfill leachate?
- How can we reduce the long-term costs of monitoring and maintaining closed landfills? How can closed landfills be reused (e.g. grazing, recreation)?
- What landfill grass/cover is tolerant to leachate being used for irrigation?
- How can the recycling collection program be improved, i.e. types & volume of materials, both curbside & commercial? What are the disposal options for hazardous waste generated by Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQGs)? How can CESQGs dispose of their waste in a manner that is cost effective? What would be most effective, efficient & financially sound for trash collection services (franchises vs. straight competition) and what is the financial impact on local governments and the state of
- How can improvements be made on the amount of time it takes to clean up contaminated sites? What is the best way to remediate contaminated soils?